15 April 2010

Penny-Pincher's Guide to Style: My Latest Finds


This is inspired by this months GQ article about dressing better without spending more.  There are several options outside of regular retail to shop below are some of my favorite spots:

1. Thrift Stores
A Treasure-Hunter's dream, but you will have to hunt.  Thrift stores are often not organized (and even when they are it may be only by color) and they accept everything so it's a lot of digging.  I usually go "Thrifting" to find labels for cheap.  Button-up shirts range from $2.50 to $6, Pants/Jeans range from $3.50 to $7, T-shirts/Polos $1 to $5, Ties $1.50 to $5.  My guesses for why someone would give away 'like new' and new clothes for free is because of fit issues and gifts they didn't want/not their style.  I go to some Mom&Pop spots but it's basically Goodwill and Salvation Army (which has a 50% off clothing sale here on Wednesdays).

2. Consignment Shops
Consignments shops are normally well organized but you will pay more for the organization.  Also they only accept clothes in good condition and frequently only accept certain brand names.  I mostly go to consignment spots for shoes/sneakers.

3. Ebay
I also use eBay for labels-for-less and for exclusive items.  To avoid "bidding wars" I try to predetermine the highest amount I will pay for an item before I begin placing bids.

4. Outlets and Low-Cost High-Style Stores
If the above are too radical there's always outlet malls.  I frequently see Nike, Gap, J. Crew, Banana Republic, Polo and Lacoste Outlets.  GQ suggest stores like H&M, J. Crew, Uniqlo, Banana Republic and Topman you can find reasonably priced items there.

Here are some of my Latest Finds:

0 comments:

Post a Comment